Kenton – Blacksmith Scene (1893)

Blacksmith Scene (1893) | Kenton

‘Blacksmith Scene’ directed by William K L Dickson for Thomas Edison was the first Kinetoscope film shown in public, on May 9th 1893, and is the earliest known example of actors on film.

Until about 1935 there was a blacksmith’s forge operating on Kenton Lane – on the junction of Kenton Road at the time called ‘Brockhurst Corner’ and near to Kenton Station – which provided a form of free pyrotechnical entertainment.