Stratford High Street – Yes, We Have Some Bananas (1946)

Yes, We Have Some Bananas (1946) | Stratford High Street

The station used to be known as Stratford Market, the fruit and veg market that operated for 112 years until 1991 when it was incorporated into New Spitalfields Market in Leyton. Built on the site of Stratford Langthorne Abbey, a Cistercian monastery, it was opened by the Great Eastern Railway to compete with Spitalfields Market. It became the centre of banana distribution in London before WWI.